Day 85

I went for a bike ride today on the Mt. Vernon trail. I left work late and traffic was horrendous, so even though I got changed and ready as quick as a gazelle, darkness was falling before the end of my ride. I suppose the setting sun was a good incentive to keep up a brisk pace throughout the ride.

The downside to riding in the evening (aside from the threat of darkness) is that you're constantly being bombarded by facefuls of gnats. I don't even want to think of how many I had to fish out of my eyes, and I'm sure at least a few got lodged in my throat. I even found them clinging to my clothes when I got home. Blech.

I've overcome my previous trepidation about the clippy pedals and now I actually like them. They give me a greater feeling of oneness with the bike, as if it's an extension of my body, my legs. I'm still a little anxious that I'll be unable to unclip in time one of these days, but most of the time I feel quite snug and secure when I'm clipped in.