Day 8 (beginning of Week 2)

After my relaxing, workout-free weekend, I was excited to get back on schedule today. Which isn't to say that I didn't have to employ some serious will power after work to get myself to exercise. The crazy thing is, I know I will feel better after I've exercised. So why is it hard to motivate myself to do it? I don't have any trouble motivating myself to eat cookies, even though I know I'll feel gross afterward (depending on how many I eat). Clearly there's some sort of bizarre disconnect inside my brain that's causing this.

Anyway, today's workout was Sculpt, which I hadn't done before. It was nearly 50 minutes of weights, resistance training, and Pilates-inspired moves that isolated specific muscle groups in the arms, butt, and thighs, and worked the core (though not nearly to the extent that Pilates works your core). I started out using my 8-lb weights and quickly realized I couldn't keep that up very long, at least not without throwing out my back. So I switched to the little 3-lb wrist/ankle weights I got over the weekend, either wearing one on each wrist or both on one wrist, depending on what the exercise was. Several of the chicks on the DVD were using tiny weights that couldn't have been more than 3 lbs so I didn't feel too wimpy for not using the 8-pounders.

That said, this workout really kicked my trash in a few parts. It definitely got my heart rate up and my inner thighs are already feeling the effects of some of those exercises. Thankfully, there were no dance moves in this one so I was able to keep up for the most part--or at least do a few reps of everything before collapsing on the floor to regain my strength for the next set. Victory will be mine the day I can do every rep in every exercise without feeling my muscles quiver. I'll let you know as soon as that happens.