Food Myths: Cravings

For some reason, I've been thinking the last few days about a currently-popular theory that food-related cravings are prompted by an actual nutrient deficiency in the body. For instance, if you crave salty foods, it's because your body is low in salt, or if you're craving yogurt, your body is telling you it needs calcium. Friends, this theory is a LIE!

Yes, you read that correctly: that theory is a complete falsehood. Based on the wholly unscientific evidence of my own experience, I am proclaiming that your body does not crave nutrients, it craves what you consistently give it. Do you frequently eat burgers and fries? That's probably what you crave most of the time. Do you eat a lot of pasta? No wonder you crave spaghetti three times a week. Do you snack on potato chips or pretzels, or regularly treat yourself to gourmet cupcakes? Ergo, your cravings.

How do I know this? I used to eat a fair amount of dessert items--mostly cookies and ice cream and sometimes brownies. I also used to crave cookies and ice cream and certainly never denied a hankering for a brownie. I am absolutely positive that my body did not need whatever was in all the ice cream I had a yearning for. After all, if I were low on calcium, wouldn't my body just crave milk?

After a concerted effort to change my eating habits--one that's taken months and months and will probably never really end--I also changed my palate. I don't crave those things--or others I used to eat--as much any more. I once had a tub of ice cream in my freezer for weeks because I was never really in the mood to eat it. I wanted to want it, because I used to enjoy it so--but I didn't really want it. That would never have happened three years ago.

Let's be honest: cookies will always be a weakness for me. But that doesn't mean I can have one every time I crave it, nor does it mean I need to eat a whole package or batch or box when I do indulge my craving. One or two will suffice. A craving doesn't justify making an unhealthy food choice!

Nowadays, I crave the salad I have several times a week for dinner. I crave fresh fruit. I crave my favorite granola cereal in the morning. And not much else on a regular basis. Ok, still cookies from time to time. And dark chocolate. Whatever. The point is, it is possible to change your palate--and not be fooled by popular diet myths any more.