Exercise Roundup, Week of 22 August 2011

Kind of a strange week for exercise because I was traveling, but I still managed to get in four solid days of exercise; four and a half if you count my urban walking on Monday. Here's the run-down.

Monday: All-day client meetings in Switzerland (!!!!). No formal exercise but lots of walking. Check out my other blog for a report on the trip, complete with snazzy photos.

Tuesday: On an airplane, no exercise to speak of, unless you count running briefly through the train station in Basel, Switzerland, to catch my train to the airport. (Made it; phew!)

Wednesday: Ninety-minute bike ride. Awesome to be on the bike again after days away. PS The Swiss love bikes!

Thursday: Thirty-five minutes of walking on the treadmill.

Friday: Ninety-minute bike ride in the morning.

Saturday: I went for a three-hour (ish) bike ride this morning, getting back just as Hurricane Irene was moving in. I felt a bit sluggish and wasn't sure how long the weather would hold. I convinced myself to just keep going a bit farther, then a bit farther, and a bit more still. Using that self-coaching method, I rode to my sister's house--about 16 miles away via the bike trail--where I had a slice of leftover pizza, refilled my Gatorade, and hung out with her, my brother-in-law, and their precocious kids for 20-30 minutes. It started raining when I was about two miles from home. Also at about that time, I nearly got ran over by a car who turned directly in front of me to get into a gas station. I looked down at my pedal for a nanosecond, and when I looked up, the car's bumper was inches from my front tire. Luckily, a collision was avoided. I yelled loudly at the car's driver, who didn't hear me from behind his closed windows. Share the road, people!

Sunday: Day of rest.