Day 27: Best-Laid Plans

Today is evidence that some force in the universe is trying to test my commitment to health and fitness. Or perhaps that I need to prepare better for life. Either way, this morning showed that even the best-laid plans can go awry. Here's how it went.

Woke up early due to sun streaming in my windows. I love early-morning sun in the summer. I immediately started getting ready for my bike ride. I put on my padded shorts that make me waddle a little, my custom-designed Hello Kitty jersey that shows all my lumpy spots, and made some toast with peanut butter and jam. I had put a partially full water bottle in the freezer the night before so the contents would stay cold during my ride, which I filled up along with a second water bottle, then took those plus my bike helmet and gloves out to the car. Stashed some money and my cell phone in a pocket in my jersey, and hauled the bike rack down to the car, where I spent about 10 minutes attaching it. Lastly, I got my bike. One of the tires was a little low on air, so I attempted to pump it up with my little hand pump. Unfortunately, in the process, I somehow let all the air out.

By this time it was about 8am and the bike shop across the street doesn't open until 10. (I know, 10am on a Saturday! They should open at, like, 6am on Saturdays to accommodate all the early-morning cyclists!) So I called my friend Sue so see if I could use her big pump (yes) and headed over there, where my tire valve somehow got jammed into her pump, resulting in the valve coming completely out when we tried to pull off the pump. Tire still flat, of course.

Since it was still too early to go to the bike shop, I decided to walk to the post office, mail some packages, then walk to the grocery store and back as a means of getting some exercise. I changed out of my bike shorts, prepped my packages, and headed over to the post office--a 10-minute walk or so. Guess what? The post office, which is normally open on Saturday mornings, was closed b/c of the 4th of July holiday tomorrow. They get Monday off too! So I schlepped my packages back home, then headed to the grocery store.

I love going to the grocery store, especially this time of year when there's so much beautiful fresh produce on-sale. I bought a couple of little boxes of blueberries, among other things. I took my time walking home with my two bulging (reusable) bags of groceries, resisting the urge to sing along out loud to whatever song was playing on my iPod. I trudged up the stairs and groped around in the bag for my keys, which had been swallowed by the bags of lettuce and the carton of eggs and the fragrant tomatoes on the vine. Rummaging further, I realized that one of the blueberry containers had popped open and there were now blueberries spilled everywhere in the bag. Finally, I had to put the bag on the floor and start taking things out to find my keys, blueberries cascading over the groceries and rolling on the bottom.

When I finally got in and got everything put away, it was around 10:30. And I still hadn't exercised! So I, somewhat reluctantly, put in Bum Bum, followed by Tummy Tuck. A killer combination, to be sure. I'll reward myself with some blueberries as soon as I take a shower.